“The only person you should compare yourself to is the person you were yesterday.”
A popular misconception about Highly Sensitive people–to those who aren’t very familiar with the trait–is that HSPs are always emotionally fragile and not mentally strong.
But this isn’t true. You CAN be mentally strong and an HSP–it’s all about your coping skills. That’s why I’m excited to share with you Episode 61’s guest, Amy Morin, who is an expert on mental strength.
Amy is a licensed clinical social worker, psychotherapist, professor, a TED talk speaker, and published author. In 2013, her post 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do, went viral, and ended up being published into a bestselling book and translated into 20 languages. Her post was the most read article of all time on Forbes.com.
I was moved by her story and the challenges she’s dealt with in her life, and how she’s found a way to thrive and become an authority on helping others learn how to better cope.
In this episode, Amy talks about:
- The most common thing mentally strong people don’t do
- How to build mental strength
- Why seeing a therapist can help, even if you go just once
- What therapists think about Highly Sensitive People
- How to stop dwelling on the past
- How to deal with anticipatory grief
Learn more about Amy Morin:
- Her book: 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do: Take Back Your Power, Embrace Change, Face Your Fears, and Train Your Brain for Happiness and Success
- Check out Amy’s ecourse: Mental Strength: Mastering The 3 Core Factors
- Twitter: @AmyMorinLCSW
Sign up for my monthly newsletter to stay up-to-date on new podcast episodes, blog posts, and HSP news.